I first learned about slow cookers from a friend of mine one afternoon. I smelled a delicious scent coming from her kitchen and she explained how cooking with a slow cooker saved her from scrambling for dinner ideas last minute.
I was intrigued since for the longest time, when I saw recipe books for slow cookers I thought they meant that the recipes were for kitchen dummies (which I was at that time).
Since then, I've purchased a slow cooker myself and have absolutely seen a difference in my motivation to not only eat healthily, but to eat homemade food all week long.
I've never been much of a meat-eater, and the one reason was that I just didn't prepare meat right. It was either overcooked and dry or undercooked and raw-ish. The slow cooker put an end to that nonsense.
But, this method of preparing meals isn't for meat-eaters alone. I've discovered amazing vegetarian recipes that have helped me develop a new love affair for cooking.
This article will break slow cookers down - dummy-style.
First of all, it's important to know that a slow cooker is an electronic cooking pot that allows you to cook meals without you being in the kitchen or house at all. Yes. You can leave this little guy unattended and you don't have to worry about it until it's time to eat. (Seriously. If this worries you, just think about this: Crockpot would have been out of business a long time ago if they had to recall their slow cookers for house fires.)
![]() |
| It doesn't matter the brand you buy, just look for the points mentioned below. |
What to look for when purchasing a slow cooker:
- Slow cookers come in small and larger sizes. I recommend getting the large size since it allows for more versatility. Even if you live alone or have a small family, if you're going to run that appliance for hours, make it worth it. You can enjoy leftovers throughout the week, which means no prepping meals when you're busy, and no resorting to take-out. (Note: The slow cooker recipe book I show below has a chapter for 2-people meals, if you really don't want leftovers).
- Look for a slow cooker with a timer. This was my friend's advice, actually (which she learned from experience). A timer means that you have the option to cook on high for 4 or 6 hours, or on low for 8 or 10 hours. Different cookers have different timer options, but the point is to have more than just a low or high temperature setting. Having the amount of hours to play around with is important, too. (Note: Some digital models allow you to set the time precisely).
- Get a slow cooker with a "warm" option. This is especially important if you're going to run the appliance while you're away. If the cooking is done before you get home, it won't just shut-off, like some machines do. With a "warm" option, your cooker will keep your meal warm for you until you are ready to eat it.
- The newest models are either stoneware/ceramic or non-stick metal. I like my ceramic pot. It's slightly heavy when washing, but I know it's safe (as in, no non-stick chemicals). To make stoneware versions easier to clean afterwards, just coat the bottom and sides with a thin layer of butter before adding ingredients.
![]() |
| Don't go crazy buying all the slow cooker recipe books on the market. I recommend getting one good reference that explains the ins and outs of using this appliance in addition to yummy recipes. |
How slow cooking saves your sanity:
- We all want to eat more healthfully, but the reality is we don't always have the time to prepare wholesome meals. By planning ahead, you will be thanking yourself when you devour a warm homemade meal made in your slow cooker.
- You don't have to prepare your entire meal in a slow cooker. If you are having people over for dinner, for instance, you can prepare the main dish in there, and then have plenty of time for preparing side-dishes. Your oven is free. Your stovetop is free. Your toaster is free (although, I have to ask myself what you'd be toasting your guests for dinner).
- Slow cookers are great for small and large families alike.
- Slow cookers are not only for stews and soups! Contrary to what I first thought, you can find recipes for just about everything you can cook in the oven to be made with a slow cooker.
- You can also prepare desserts in here. How's that for sanity-saving?
Meal-prep tips for slow cookers:
- Even though the cooker is doing the work for you while you are away from the kitchen/ house, some forethought is required. I highly recommend meal-planning so that you know if you need to thaw some of the ingredients 24 hours ahead (like meat). It is not recommended to place frozen items in the slow cooker. And, there is nothing worse than prepping your cooker in the morning and realizing you haven't thawed the main ingredient.
- If you have an early start to work in the morning, prep the pot the night before and refrigerate. In the morning, all you need to do is place the pot on the base, plug it in, set the timer and go.
- As you plan your meals, pay attention to the cooking time. Some meals only require 2-3 hours, others 8-10 hours. That will make a difference if you are heading out for the day or not. You'll want to prep the shorter meals around days you are home (so it does sit warming up for the entire day).
- When you begin, start with the recipes that come with your cooker. Then venture out trying to find recipes online or in books. Eventually, you will get the gist of how much liquid needs to be added and such. Then, you can put together your own slow cooker creations.
- Get yourself a good slow cooker recipe book that explains how best to cook meats, fish/seafood, grains and pulses, etc. This type of book will guide you through the recommended cooking times for each ingredient. It's hard to know without some initial guidance sine this appliance doesn't work quite like an oven.
- Never/ rarely lift the lid to stir once the cooker is running. This lets the heat escape and sets you back 20-30 minutes.
When I first purchased this appliance, I was afraid that it would eventually get stashed away at the bottom of a cupboard, like my juicer did. However, I'm really happy to say that I not only got my money's worth, I continue to use this baby 1-2x per week (sometimes more often than my oven)!
Think about the possibilities during the spring/summer when you are out and about with your family and come home to a wholesome [no-brainer] meal.
Bon Apetit!
Do you own a slow cooker? Do you have resources or tips to share?
Resources for you:
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (link to affiliate Amazon shop)
Crockpot (link to the slow cooker I own - pictured above - affiliate link - cheaper here than where I purchased it!)
Wholesome Slow Cooker Tips and Recipes (my ever-growing Pinterest board with tons of additional resources and recipes)
Related articles on this blog:
Meal Planning 101 (with free meal plan printables)
Healthy Eating the Ayurvedic Way (by Subhadra Allard)
Know Your Food (by Nikki Gerlach)
6 Tips to Shop Organic and Save
Oh, Green Baby Series - Part 5: Feeding Baby Eco-Style
Don't Let the Health Food Store Intimidate You




Thanks for the inspiration Gabriella. It's been a long-time since we have taken out the slow cooker here at our home. We don't cook meat often but this is a great way of making different meals using meat.
ReplyDeleteJust keep in mind, Suzanne, that you can use it for EVERYTHING, not just meat. I recently made tapioca pudding in my slow cooker. It was just divine to eat it warm and homemade (and not have to hang around the stove to keep stirring). I was able to control the amount of sugar I put in it - which made it lovely to give to my little guy. But, from what I know, you have an amazing chef there who probably does not mind hanging around the kitchen creating, right?
DeleteI do have a tendency to think slow cooker = cooking meat. Thanks for re-educating me on that one. :)
DeleteOh, I'm not the amazing chef at home, my daughter is mostly the cook, until she moves out one day. Which reminds me I 'should' be getting back into it at least slowly to give me practice... or teach my guys how to cook. :)