The secret?
I journal.
I'm not talking about a diary-type journal - at least, not just a diary-type journal, since I sort-of do that, too.
What I do is something that may puzzle you at first, but will probably inspire you to do the same by the end of this reading.
Let me break it down.
I walk around with surges of thoughts, ideas, and images in my mind constantly. I go about my day trying to slot those into categories within my head. Only, I'm pretty sure my head doesn't have that many short-term file folders. I used to think that I would remember everything, but we all know that's simply not possible.
Besides, the gushes of ideas often come to me in lists. A little about this, a little about that, and, oh, look, something about that over there. None of the ideas are really processed as they're coming to the surface. They're just ideas that I keep filing for deeper interaction at later date.
One day, I thought about how I could manage these thoughts so that I didn't forget them, and so that I could eventually dig deeper into them.
![]() |
| Only a few of the journals I own. |
That's how I developed a notebook system that I like to refer to as journaling since it sounds much more sophisticated.
I don't own one journal where I plop down my brainstorms. Instead, I have many. Many, many.
Here's how I organize my mind. It is the system I use to get all of the waves of ideas and thoughts, and dreams and happenings out of my head, and onto paper.
![]() |
| This was my first gratitude journal. |
Types of Journals for Clearing the Mind
- Gratitude Journal: I would like to thank Oprah for this one as she inspired the idea of writing down 5 things at the end of every day that I'm thankful for. I have to say that I do not use this daily - not because I don't have something to be thankful for - but because sometimes, I'd rather do something else. I didn't want this book to be about pressure since we all know what happens when we feel like we "have" to do something. Instead, this is about those days when I feel like everything went wrong. That's when I look to the little precious moments and record them. This journal then makes for a good read when I'm having a difficult day.
- Poetry Journal: Yes. I write poetry. No. I won't share them with you. For some reason, when I'm feeling uneasy, this is the journal I reach to first. Maybe it's because in a few words I can express the emotions. I don't really know why, but I love this particular journal the most.
![]() |
| My poetry journal - blurred intentionally. |
![]() | |||
| Art journal - mostly doodles, but words do make their appearance from time to time. |
- Art Journals: Yes. I like to doodle, too. These are the journals I reach for when I'm feeling creative and don't quite find the words I need to express my feelings. I tend to combine sketches with words, however. Funny how that happens.
![]() |
| Another art journal |
- Dreamer's Journal: This is an interesting one and differs from a dream journal where dreams (as in the sleep-related kind) are analyzed. This is the place I write down all of the ideas I have for future aspirations like projects I'd like to start, activities I'd like to do, and laws I'd like to change. Ok. Maybe not that last one, but let's just say there's a lot of world-changing ideas in this book. And, because of that, no, I won't share this journal with you either.
![]() |
| Dreamer's journal - blurred so you don't steal my dreams (go create your own!) |
- Remedies Journal: This notebook really helps me in a bind. Over the years, I've tried tons of alternative remedies with my son. But, even though I thought I'd remember everything that worked, I'd often find myself in a panic when he got sick. It's as though the less logical part of my mommy brain came to live with me. So, I started keeping a journal of remedies that worked - categorized by ailment, and easy to refer to while frantic. It's tiny enough that it easily slips it into a handbag.
![]() | ||
| Alternative remedies that worked are recorded in this journal |
![]() |
| Craft journals |
- Craft Journals: These are fun ones. Sewing, knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, and paper crafts make it into this book. I mostly jot down notes and tips as I'm working on a project so that I can refer to them in the future (to avoid the same errors or to make it better the next time).
- Prayer Journal: This is a new one for me - only started it in January. I'd been wanting to start this journal for a while. It's a private place where I have conversations with God. This is probably most like a diary, only, it's not.
![]() | ||
| Prayer Journal |
![]() | ||
| Idea journal and gliding ink pen for ease when writing in the middle of the night. |
- Idea Journal: This one sits in the top drawer of my nightstand, along with a gliding ink pen. I use this mostly in the dark - when an idea strikes me in the wee hours of the morning. I don't even bother switching on a light. I just scribble in some thoughts and revisit it in the morning. I tear the page out and stick it in the appropriate journal.
- Business Planning Journal: This journal is where I plan the Green Home Today/ Shaklee stuff. It's how these blog posts come to fruition.
![]() |
| Business planning journal |
![]() |
| My favorite journal design. The cover is stunning, the pages are blank, the pencil is portable and the elastic band keeps all the ideas from spilling out into the world too soon. |
Tips to getting started on journaling:
- Select beautiful notebooks. Nothing inspires more than a gorgeously designed notebook. And, if you can't find a design you like, cover one up using pretty scrapbooking paper (see Business Planning journal above as an example).
- Collect journal books as you find them. I always keep a stash of new notebooks on my shelf. When I'm in the stationery department and find notebooks that draw me in, I buy them - even if I don't have a purpose for them at the time. Later, when I'm inspired, I don't have to wait to go out and buy a new book. I just pull one off my shelf and get creating!
- Select 3 of your passions, and start a corresponding journal. Think of the ideas that are constantly floating around in your mind. What categories are those in? Stop them from roaming around in space and put the thoughts into a concrete storage space. Only start with three so that you don't become so overwhelmed that you don't use them.
![]() |
| Journal books sitting on my shelf, waiting to be chosen. |
Other types of journals to inspire you:
- food journal
- wine journal
- pregnancy journal
- baby journal
- wedding planning journal
- travel journal
- fitness journal
- dream journal (as in the sleep-related kind)
Why so many journals?
I could easily have started one journal and just had everything recorded in one spot. But, since I'm naturally organized, I felt that each of my ideas needed a home, too - bunking in with similar ideas. You know - so that they can all get along in there. That's also how I know where to find the thoughts when I need to process them deeper.
Do you journal? Do you keep thematic notebooks or is everything pretty much in one book? Do you have some favorite resources to share?
Resources for you:
A Brief History of Journal Writing (article by Center for Journal Therapy that also explains the benefits of journaling)
Penzu (a free online journal site)
Journal Writing Prompts (writing your memories from Creative Writing Now)
A Goldmine of Journal Writing Prompts (with books lists and tons of links)
One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (a popular book for anyone wanting to journal, but worried about not having enough time - affiliate link to my Amazon shop)
Wreck this Journal (a journal you're meant to destroy as you work on it - affiliate link to my Amazon shop)
Related article on this blog:
Finding Meal Inspirations is Easier Than You Think (on creating a food journal)














Now that is impressive Gabriella. WOW!! I love journals. I love to start them and use them for a while... then I go on to buying more journals and starting them for something different and before you know it I have all these random incomplete journals with bits and pieces here and there. I am not organized with my thoughts on paper like you are. Maybe it would help me to try and have a system of some sort like you do so I can get things out of my head. Thank you for sharing and being so inspiring. Loved the blog post and seeing all your beautiful journals and amazing ideas.
ReplyDeleteI KNOW! I'm so addicted to journal books. There is something so thrilling about a blank notebook - I don't know why that is! I thought I was the only one with the journal fetish! The thing with journals of different themes is that it's ok for them to be incomplete before starting another - since the empty pages suggest that more is to come - eventually. No pressure to finish. It's only important to start. Glad I was able to inspire.
DeleteI love it.. and have been doing the same (minus craft projects) for the last 24 yrs... 16 years of age was my take off year! Thanks for sharing! I am in awe that you make the time to do all this!
ReplyDeleteMaria, I don't actually write/create in each one daily - not even weekly. There is no pressure with any of these - that's my #1 rule. Whenever and wherever.
DeleteI love that you've been doing this, too! We're such kindred spirits! I think I started a diary in elementary school, but I ripped it up in my teen years. Then, started another in my teen years and ripped it up in my adult years. How I wish I still had access to those. Do you still have your first journals?
P.S. Just bought myself a new journal yesterday!
DeleteI have one journal from my teenage yrs (judy blume journal) and two from my mid twenties - my travel journeys. I also kept a gratitude journal after my grandma passed on...in fact it was a journal I gave to her but sadly, she never had a chance to write her story...although much of it is engraved in my heart.
ReplyDeleteI must admit.. I am not writing or creating in this manner lately.. in fact .. my energy levels are not there right now... there is too much going on.. yet my urge to express is so profound...
So creation is happening in a different way... my children, my home, my health...all different ways of creating and expressing... at least this is what I tell myself ;-)
Absolutely, Maria! The beauty of creativity is that it comes in so many forms. It all depends on what's going on in our lives at that time. That's probably why I have so many types of journals. They speak to the many chapters of my life... sometimes I'm crafting, sometimes I'm sketching, sometimes I'm writing. Most times, I'm not doing anything at all... just absorbing. Perhaps this is what you're doing right now. Although, I truly think that expressing it through your children, your home and you health is an honest form of creativity. All the best to you!
DeleteGabrie
ReplyDeleteThanks for this fabulous post-I have a similar system
and I am addicted to journals of all kinds, Tanya
Yes! It's totally an addiction! Thanks for dropping by, Tanya!
Delete