![]() |
| Created by "moi" using The Keep Calm-O-Matic |
Well, it's not that kind of tapping I'm referring to.
When it comes to stress, I have tried everything I can in order to manage it. So, it's no wonder when I first learned about EFT tapping that I had to give it an honest attempt.
Before I share my story, let me give you a quick glimpse into this technique.
What is EFT Tapping?
EFT stands for Emotional Freedom Technique. It actually originates from TFT, or Thought Field Therapy, founded by Dr. Roger J. Callahan. It's a form of healing through "tapping" different body parts, at the meridian points, with the fingertips.
EFT tapping was developed by Gary Craig, and it's a form of TFT tapping. It's a combination of ancient Chinese acupressure points and modern psychology. By stimulating the meridian points and verbalizing specific feelings, the emotions we want to clear get released. If we're feeling overwhelmed about juggling work and home-life, for instance, we can tap the meridian points that are mainly on our face and upper body. We recognize the feeling of overwhelm, and then, we physically release it. Before we know it, the body experiences a sense of calm.
Where are the tapping points?
There are 9 tapping points. This 4 minute video, from The Tapping Solution, shows you exactly where they are and how to do this. Just a word of warning: if you're new to energy healing, you might find this a little odd at first. If you view it with an open mind and try tapping along with the video, you will feel the physical effects immediately. It's quite pleasurable.
This video was originally created for The Tapping World Summit, but you can ignore what Jessica Ortner says about that since it's over for this year.
What's interesting about tapping to healing is that it's contrary to everything we've learned about changing our present situation. Rather than uttering positive words, positive thoughts and positive affirmations, what we say during the tapping sequence is what we're honestly feeling. It can be as negative, angry, depressive, and out-right vulgar as we wish. Yes, we can even swear while doing this. What we're doing is taking everything we constantly have rolling around in our mind about a situation, and letting it all out.
Upset about the last conversation with your spouse? Tap, and say what irritated you.
Fed up being stuck in traffic? Tap, and curse at the top of your lungs.
Worried about that final exam? Tap, and express all of your fears of failure.
The words, in combination with the tapping, rid of blockages we hold in our body. As a result, we open the door to healing.
How can tapping be used?
EFT tapping can be used for absolutely anything that is going on with us. Here are only some examples:
- anxiety
- fear
- depression
- anger
- stress
- chronic pain
- insomnia
- addiction
- post traumatic stress disorder
This 7-minute video shows some of the ailments that have been extraordinarily healed with EFT tapping.
"The Most Inspirational EFT Video" with founder Gary Craig
How did EFT tapping help me?
While my son was going through yet another sleepless night, I was at my wits' end. I was exhausted and worried about what could be keeping him up. His fussiness and aggressions didn't help my nervous system that night. I felt the anxiety coming on, and I jumped out of bed before it took control of me.
I hid in the bathroom. Took a few deep breaths. But, I could feel the pressure rising my chest. It wasn't enough at that moment. Then, I remembered EFT tapping. Right there, in the middle of my bathroom, in the middle of the night, I started tapping.
I whispered all of the uglies that I had boiling up inside me. The sad thoughts about how I was never going to sleep again for the rest of my life. The worried thoughts about how I could not figure out what was keeping him up. And, the angry thoughts that I had to keep dealing with this issue while the rest of the world enjoyed a healthy sleep.
Midway through the second round, I was crying liking a baby, muttering all of the statements between sobs and tears. The emotional release was huge.
By the end of the fourth round, I knew it was over, and that I was going to be ok.
I checked on my son one last time before heading to bed myself. He let out a chuckle, and I kissed his little forehead and let him know it was ok to sleep now. I was no longer frustrated.
I returned to bed feeling refreshed and completely calm.
Now, one can say that all I needed was a good cry. But, it was more than that.
Before I started the tapping, I didn't feel like crying at all. Instead, I felt angry. I remember wanting to punch a wall. I remember the heaviness in my chest. I truly believe the surge of emotions that followed was brought on by the tapping, especially when applied to my chest. It's like I unblocked the tightness and allowed the peace in.
If you are like me in that you feel like you need to do something when you are feeling out of control, then you will find this method really empowering.
I've use EFT tapping several more times since then. It's officially in my bank of go-to techniques for stress and anxiety. In fact, if my hands are free, it's the first thing I do. And, it's usually the only thing I need to do to get me on with my day.
Have you ever tried EFT tapping? Are you curious about it?
Resources for you:
Callahan Techniques (link to Dr. Callahan's website - all about TFT tapping, lots of free resources)
The Tapping Solution (link to website - all about EFT tapping, you can also sign-up to get a free ebook)
Project Tapping (link to Carol Look's website - as mentioned by Jessica Ortner in the video above)
Basic Steps to Your Emotional Freedom (extensive article by Dr. Mercola - includes a video, diagrams, photos and plenty of affirmation phrases to guide you)

Thank you for sharing how you put EFT to good use Gabriella. It is very powerful isn't it. All we need to do is remember it's there and it's that easy to just tap away our frustrations or whatever is on our mind.
ReplyDeleteIt really is powerful, Suzanne!
Delete