![]() |
| Art provided by PagesOfAges |
When it first aired, I thought it was a great idea. A program about health that would inform people more accurately than the internet could. Professional doctors. Experts in the field sharing what they know about the human body and how to keep it healthy. The very fact that Dr. Sears (as in the son of Dr. William Sears and co-author of the amazing baby book series) was a host caught my attention from the get-go.
And, then I started watching and recognized it for the freak show that it is. Over the years, this program has become loud, visually busy and packed with tabloid-style medical segments that put The National Inquirer to shame. It's a show about health, yet something about it makes me hyper and anxious.
I never intend to watch this program, but from time to time I happen to land on a channel and it comes on while I go about my day. When I listen in - even just passively - I ask myself how this program is even permitted to be on.
10 reasons this show should have the plug pulled:
- The topics are pure junk. Last week included a segment on over-plucked eyebrows.
- Cosmetic surgery, Botox and questionable modern procedures are often promoted. They even have a "procedure room" backstage to perform some minor procedures live. Yesterday, they had on a new mother of twins (of two months) who was not happy with her stretch marks and loose skin. A dermatologist used a new piece of equipment that would solve her "problem after those pregnancies" by firming her skin. And, once it was over, the doctor mentioned the "nice improvement" in her tummy area. Uhm... I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure a post-partum body requires its own time to naturally do its thing. Not two months. (And since when does a mother's body need improvement anyway?)
- It creates hypochondriacs. There is a bombardment of topics in one show that are touched upon briefly - leaving the viewers feeling paranoid about their own symptoms. I lost count of how many different issues were brought up in a 60 minute show. At 15 minutes, I counted more than 5. By the end, I was sure I had at least 9 of the diseases discussed.
- The doctors always suggest drugs before natural remedies. In yesterday's episode, when talking about mucus in the nose, it was suggested that a great amount of mucus could mean a cold, allergies, or what not. It was then stated, "You may need to go on decongestants." No suggestion to get to the root of the problem. Rather, the recommendation was masking the symptoms with medication. Typical.
- There is an emphasis on weight-loss and diets rather than good health. There was a short segment on making a "skinny burger" that used extra lean minced turkey and a wholegrain bun. I would have liked to have heard that the meat is antibiotic and hormone-free. The focus was on the fat, not the healthier option of toxin-free meat.
- The doctors themselves are obnoxious and act as though they're superstars when they're actually terrible role models. See points below.
- Dr. Drew Ordon's tan makes me want to vomit. You would think that a doctor would not be promoting unhealthy skin care habits on top of plastic/ reconstructive surgery. (And, he always sounds like he's reading - making me wonder how much he really knows about what he's saying.)
- Dr. Lisa Masterson looks like she's had some surgery and Botox done herself. And she's supposed to be advocating for women. Whatever.
- Dr. James Sears is the biggest disappointment for me as I am totally in love with the books he co-authored with his dad. I was expecting this great knowledgeable, attachment-parenting style pediatrician. Instead, I realize that he's just like all of them - telling his conventional doctor jokes with his eyebrows raised and forehead wrinkled.
- Dr. Travis Stork is the doctor that kept me wanting to watch the show (talk about eye-candy). But, he's the reason I change channel immediately now. I think television got to his head. (And, why is he always yelling?)
Just contrast this trashy program with The Dr. Oz Show, you'll immediate appreciate the difference. Not only does Dr. Oz come across as more professional, more knowledgeable and much more open-minded about natural/alternative remedies, just look at the guests he has on: Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Joseph Mercola. The Doctors? Jillian Michaels. Need I say more?
Do you watch The Doctors? I'd love to hear your views!

I hear you on that topic. I cannot stand watching anything that is less than authentic or that I know isn't pure truth according to me.
ReplyDeleteI convinced my husband earlier this year to put the TV in the basement rec-room I didn't want to be listening to it upstairs anymore. And to be honest I really have forgotten we even have a TV. I much prefer to be in control of what content I listen to or choose to watch online.
Yes! "In control of what content I listen to"... I love that!
Delete