12 June 2012

Why Support Direct Sales Distributors?

Photograph by Amy McRae at beyoutifully

By now, we understand the importance of supporting handmade. 

But there is another little corner of the business world that is often misunderstood.  And I want to bring light to it today.

I'm talking about direct sales businesses.

Direct sales have been around for a long time.  They're basically tiered or multilevel businesses where the members sell products through demonstrations, trade shows and home-parties.  At the top of the tier are founders, directors, managers, and leaders.  Some of the most popular direct sales businesses started as early as the 1800s - Avon being one of them with Tupperware following in the early 1900s.  Then, there are more modern-day ones like the Pampered Chef and Stampin' Up.

We can all relate to being invited to a home party and thinking that we're going to be coerced into buying products we may or may not need.  And very often, they're priced much higher than we'd normally be willing to spend for an equivalent product in the stores.  But we buy them just the same because we don't want to be embarrassed before the hostess who may be a friend or relative.

I would just like to point out that I've been there.

But since my initiation into direct sales (previously with Under the Moon, and with Shaklee) I have seen the other side and understand things very differently.  This is precisely what I want to share with you because there has been a great shift in direct sales in recent years.  I'm going to use Shaklee as an example for debunking the myths.

Misconceptions about Direct Sales:

  • Myth #1: Sales people are only out to make money.  False.  While direct sales is indeed a business, the sales people directly on the front lines have done a lot of homework about the products they represent.  With Shaklee, I make sure to try the products first, and I do not mention a product I don't have first-hand experience with.  (From time to time, I might announce a sale because these great quality/great priced products might be of interest to others, but I do state that I haven't used a product if I haven't).  I also do not mislead my clients.  If I did not like the experience with a certain product, I just don't promote it.  (I don't mention it at all only because if it didn't work to my liking, it doesn't mean that it won't work to yours.) The bottom line is: You can bet that distributors are with a specific company because the products mean something to them.  And as customers, you can get that one-on-one contact with a person who has incredible knowledge about the products.  This is something you can't get at Walmart.
  • Myth #2: Direct sales people have a quota to meet and will do what they can to meet it.  False.  At least, this is the case with Shaklee.  While there are incentives, I never actually make it a point to get any bonuses because I'm not in this for rewards.  I strongly believe in the core of what Shaklee stands for (prevention rather than cure), and I want to share their message as best I can with others.  There is no quota, no pressure for me as a distributor at all.  Any time I make reference to a product it's because it's my honest opinion about it based on my experience. 
  • Myth #3: Direct sales people get the short end of the stick in a huge company.  False.  While Shaklee has grown to a substantial size business-wise, the truth is, we distributors don't feel short-changed at all.  We can work as little or as much as we'd like to increase our sales.  I have chosen not to take an aggressive approach, but a resourceful one instead, so I can honestly say that I'm not raking in the money.  That's the choice I've made because I'm not in it for the business aspect of it alone - I'm mostly in this for the message I want to convey.  (Although, the sales are much appreciated!)  It's very different from purchasing at Walmart.  At these big box stores, the employees all work for a huge company that makes all of the profits, and their pay cheques don't vary if they provide better service on one day as compared to another.  I'd call that getting the short end of the stick.  Instead, each person in a direct sales business has the same opportunity to make more (or less) money.
  • Myth #4: Direct sales businesses aren't worth supporting because the money goes to the big guys.  False.  In connection to what I said in #3, there is definitely an opportunity for growth for each independent distributor on the front lines.  Some people go into it because they find themselves in a place where they need extra cash and can basically get set-up easily through direct sales.  This is one reason I hooked-up with Shaklee.  I have a strong message to share, and as much as running my own business is enticing, it's not something I can do so readily.  A direct sales company provides people like me with the opportunity to "do my own thing" more or less, set up at home, but not have the hassles of high investment and crazy start-up time.  I can act as an entrepreneur by fixing my own schedule and hours, but not have to report to anyone per se.  I also appreciate the time put in by each person in the company to ensure that we distributors have access to marketing materials, product info, support and so on.  All that takes time and money, so I feel it only fair that the people higher up on the tier get compensated for it.  It's similar to a small business hiring a marketing team.  Regardless, when we do get sales as distributors, there are commissions involved (the amount all depends on where you rank on the tier).  Those commissions end up in the individual's pocket very much like a small business owner.   Just as we feed the mouths of artisans when we purchase handmade, we also help distributors pay their rent when we support direct sales.  Shaklee could easily sell their products in big box stores, but they choose to help people like me who need/want to work from home but don't have the time or $$$$ for a start-up.
  • Myth #5: When we're invited to a home party, we have to buy something otherwise the host/hostess will be disappointed.  False. You can bet that the host/hostess invited you over for an excuse to get-together.  While he/she does get some bonuses for using his/her home, he/she won't un-friend you if you don't buy anything.  A good sales distributor will let you know from the beginning that there is no pressure to buy.  Instead, you will get to sample quality products (hence the higher price range) that the host/hostess also believes in - otherwise, he/she would not have put together this gathering.  And we all love parties with good company and a few refreshments anyway, right? 
  • Myth #6: Distributors are forced to hold in-home parties for their products.  False.  The internet has changed things drastically over the years.  Shaklee, for instance, has allowed its distributors to sell from a ready-made website (granted, we do invest in this site, but there is little work for us to do - it's all ready for us by the tech people!)  This has opened up the doors to beyond in-home gatherings.  Now, with my blog, I can invite all of you into my home at your convenience!  (Unfortunately, I cannot serve refreshments.)  The point is, we are in no way forced as distributors to leave our homes to set-up shop in another person's home.  And, frankly, a lot of clients prefer it this way!  You can still have access to a personal distributor, get even more information than ever through their website/blog, and you can shop and click in the comfort of your own home.  
Whether you're a client or a distributor, I'd say that direct sales has come a long way in earning the respect it requires.  So, please don't run the other way when you see me coming.

Resources for you:

This is a short list of direct sales businesses that are in-line with the message of this blog.  It's by no means extensive.

Shaklee (affiliate link to biz opportunities for natural nutritional, green cleaning, skin care products and more - Canada and USA)
Under the Moon (link to biz opportunities for natural supplies for moms and babies - Canadian-based.)  Note: I was once a demonstrator, and I absolutely love their products, and everything they stand for and I'm not getting any compensation for saying that!  It's from the heart!
The Happy Gardener (link to biz opportunity for environmentally friendly gardening practices- US-based)


I'd love to grow this list.  If you know of any natural direct sales biz that you'd like to add, please do so in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.