15 September 2013

How Green Cleaning Has Changed My Life (+ How it Can Change Yours Too!)

I didn't always use green products.  In fact, like most everyone on this planet, I bought into the story that in order for things to be clean they needed to be harsh and they needed to smell like the chemical version of lemons trees.

When I first started buying my own cleaning products, I didn't even realize that there was a whole category of safer products.  I thought what I was using was safe since it killed the germs in my house (and germs were bad - chemicals that killed them were good).

When I watched an Oprah episode about green cleaning, and she had a promotional code to Shaklee products along with free samples, I was skeptical, but also very intrigued. 

I ordered the Shaklee Basic H2 vial.

Within days, I was testing it out all over my house. And, I was not only shocked that it worked, but amazed at how much better it worked than the other products I was using. I was able to use it everywhere in my house - including the wooden banister that gets grimy on a daily basis. 

To a 16 oz bottle of water, I add 1/4 tsp Basic H2 Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate.  I have weeks worth of cleaning from such a small amout of cleaner.


I did some crazy research on green cleaning products and kept falling on Shaklee's reviews, which were always positive and reassuring.

And, I've never looked back.

Now, when I stroll down the cleaning aisle at the superstore, I have to hold my breath (and my tongue, because I'm so tempted to tell the lady reaching for the toxic product not to do it!)

How has green/ natural/ non-toxic cleaning [with Shaklee] changed my life?

In every way. 

But, here's a shortlist that I hope will inspire you:
  • I save time even though I clean more often. I do it in smaller spurts because I always have a Shaklee Get Clean all-purpose spray bottle handy.
  • Even though some products are organic, I actually save money because I only buy the concentrate and add my own water.  The concentrate bottle lasts over a year - despite my daily cleaning.
  • My house is cleaner-looking with less effort since the products don't leave behind grimy residue.
  • I don't worry about what my family inhales or touches.
  • Easy-does-it.  I don't have a billion products for different jobs. I have 3 go-to products for everything (Basic H2 Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate, Scour-Off, and Basic G).
  • I don't worry about products mixing.  Since these are all from the same safe family, there is no worrying about chemical reactions - which I couldn't say about the mélange of products I once used.
  • I can make cleaning my own.  Since Shaklee products do not have fragrances, I can trickle a drop of my favorite essential oil to add a personal zing to the cleaning routine.
  • I started by changing the cleaning products, but I eventually altered the food we bought, changed the line of cosmetics I used, reduced the amount of energy we used, and started paying more attention to the amount of waste we produced.  One change spiraled into a transformative lifestyle.
Do you used green cleaning products? How have they changed your life?

Related articles on the blog:

To Disinfect or Not - That is the Question (+ a Safer Alternative)
How One Cleaner Saves You Money (all about Basic H2)
How Much Do You Spend on Your Cleaners? (cost-comparison of cleaners and how much you save with Basic H2)
When the Dust Settles (using Basic H2 for dusting) 
A Brighter Outlook (using Basic H2 for windows)
I Can See Clearly Now (using Basic H2 for eyeglasses)
A Match Made in Heaven: The Marriage of an Eco-Cleaner and a Mop (using Basic H2 for your floors)
The Truth About Chemical Cleaners and Asthma
How to Make a Natural Cleaner Your Own (adding essential oils to a natural cleaner) 


Where to find the products mentioned above:

Shaklee's Basic H2 Organic Super Cleaning Concentrate (link to Shaklee shop)
Shaklee's Basic G (link to Shaklee shop)
Shaklee's Scour Off Heavy Duty Paste (in my shop)  

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post Gabriella. Just love it. It's almost an exact replica of how I did things over the years also with lifestyle changes. When I found natural cleaning products years ago I was hesitant about the cost and the no-smell... but it didn't take long that I wanted more of that. It was cleaning our home nicely and we really didn't need the scent. Like you, today I have to avoid that cleaning isle at the supermarkets... my nose opposes being near those strong more toxic cleaners.

    Today I have 2-3 favourite companies for natural cleaning products for our home... Shaklee is one of them. I so appreciate learning about this company from you and how you continue to educate us. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.