Even if for just a few minutes.
In recent weeks, I've been toying with the idea of just letting my imagination run. Letting the stories develop. Letting the ideas scamper wildly with absolute nonsense.
It all started while taking a drive one afternoon. I live in a neighborhood by a river where the homes are just dreamy, the scenery is divine and a walk/ drive is absolutely blissful.
As I drove past, and spotted particular homes that called my name, I found myself thinking about what it would be like sitting on that wrap-around porch, sipping lemonade and catching up on my reading.
I thought about what people do in that other house with all of that land in the backyard. Do they host BBQ parties each weekend?
And, who actually lives in that house with the towering gates and lush greenery? Do they work out of the home? What do they eat for breakfast and who walks their guard dog?
What about that house on the corner with view of the river and park? Do they sit in their living room and watch people like me go by?
That house with the boarded up windows and doors. Did the owner pass away and not have heirs to hand the home down to?
What would I do if I lived in that house with all those lilac trees and that one bench? Would I lay in the grass, taking in the scent and watch the clouds roll by?
Before I know it, I'm off creating mini-stories about what it would be like to wake-up in a particular home. Several minutes later, I'm calmer, and there's a smile on my face.
Now, one could argue that I'm setting myself up for disappointment and I should be grateful for what I have. Let me just clarify that there is a difference between wishing and daydreaming. Between wanting a different life and stretching the imagination to take me away from my reality for a few minutes.
If being unmindful for a little while can bring me greater peace than watching a movie, or reading a book, then I'm content in giving this concept a little more practice!
Rather than purposely focusing on what you're doing from minute to minute, why not try changing the center of your attention to include a little fantasy, a little make-believe and a little play in Imagination Land?
Here as some ideas/ places you can let your imagination run wild:
- on your commute to work (make-up stories about that lady with the purple hat sitting across from you)
- while in line at the grocery store (what will that man be having for dinner based on what he purchased?)
- on your drive to the cottage (pick a house and imagine your life if you lived there)
- in the waiting room at the dentist (create stories about the family waiting right along with you)
- after reading a book (imagine yourself as the main character, or imagine the sequel to the story)
- when you see a gate or door, imagine what you'd find on the other side
Are you a daydreamer by nature? Do you find yourself engulfed in a story that doesn't exist other than in your mind?

Loved reading your post. I just came back this morning from driving my son to the farm for the day (1.5 hour drive)... and when I got home my daughter was hanging up the laundry. We sat outside for a few minutes to talk and I asked her 'what would you say that if in 6 months from now we will have moved to live somewhere else'? She asked if I knew where that would be to, and if I had run that by my husband, her dad. No not yet, it just all came to me this morning as I was driving. The sense that we have grown as much as we could having lived here for almost 3 decades (and that's not counting the years we great up here - that's 55 years total for my husband a bit less for me)... these thoughts keep coming back to me, just like it did about 5 years ago. Time to dream... it's time to imagine... and who knows what in 6 months time it will all have meant and will we still be here or will we have moved?
ReplyDeleteThis is great, Suzanne. It's not easy to leave a place we've lived in for years. I get attached to homes quickly, so even leaving an apartment had me teary-eyed. I can't imagine leaving a home I've lived in for 30 years! On that note: are you thinking of moving to Montreal? :)
Delete