![]() |
| Art provided by Tiffney Noel at tiffneytreasures |
I had talked myself into doing the yoga postures and then going home to do a meditation that I so desperately needed.
Instead, my yoga instructor had another plan for us.
She had prepared a sound yoga routine. She had us work through our chakras with vocalizations specific to each chakra.
I could go on forever about chakras and chakra healing, but I will give you a quick run-down before I continue with my story.
It is believed that we have seven chakras, or swirls of energy, that correspond to different parts of our bodies. The chakras are mostly associated with the glands and organs in that specific area.
The Seven Chakras (in order from head to base)
- Crown Chakra: at the top of the head, relates to spirituality and our higher self
- Third Eye Chakra: between the two eyebrows, relates to wisdom and intution
- Throat Chakra: at the base of the neck, relates to communication and self-expression
- Heart Chakra: at the center of the chest, relates to love and healing
- Solar Plexus Chakra: between the sternum and navel (or stomach area), relates to personal power, sometimes called the "Power House"
- Sacral Chakra: below the naval, relates to sexuality and reproduction
- Root Chakra: at the base of the spine, relates to grounding
Each chakra is associated with a color and shape. You can learn more in the resource list below.
Back to my story.
We worked through the seven chakras, beginning with the root chakra and moving up. We visualized the colored lights and shapes while the instructor shared tidbits about each chakra's purpose and healing power. We also chanted a specific sound to go with each chakra.
Then, we got to the heart chakra.
I saw the green light for a second, and I had a difficult time seeing the crescent shape associated with it. But, that's ok. We can let things like that go in meditation, because we just allow things to be what they are.
As the instructor suggested we let go of anything sitting in our heart chakra that we didn't want there - to just let it all go and allow it fall to the core of the earth - I felt a stream of tears flow down my face. Just like that. Out of nowhere.
Before I knew it, I was full-blown crying - trying to cage my eyes tighter to block the tears from gushing. But, it was too late. Everyone heard that sniffle and double-inhale sob.
Our instructor suggested we take a minute to ourselves if we needed to - but she was directing that at me. She invited us to take child's pose, which I thought was appropriate, but I remained still and just allowed it all to pour.
Like any good cry, I felt like a huge load off my chest when my eyes had finally dried. And, I proceeded with the rest of the routine like nothing had ever happened.
I could tell at the end of the session that everyone was curious. We talked about our experience with sound yoga and everyone had a chance to share. I did share, but not about that particular emotional moment. Not because I wanted to keep it private, but because I had no idea what to say about it.
It just was what it was.
I didn't analyze it. I didn't question my sanity. I just allowed it to have come through me and then very, very out of me.
All I know is that I felt lighter and brighter when I left the course.
And, I slept like a baby the entire night.
Have you done any chakra healing? What about sound yoga? Care to share your experiences?
Resources for you:
ChakraEnergy.com: Your Information Source of Chakras (you can take a free quiz there to learn more about your chakra centers)
The 7 Chakras for Beginners (article with colored diagrams)
Ananas for the Chakra System (article from Yoga Journal)
The Beginner's Guide to Common Chants (article from Yoga Journal)
Related articles on this blog:
Affected by Lunar Cycles
My Incredible Experience with Energy Clearing
Healing the Body, Mind and Spirit with Reiki (by Suzanne McRae)
Just Breathe... Yoga and the Power of Breath (by Krystyna Szadkowska)

Thanks for sharing your vulnerability. It is becoming clearer that 2013 is all about transparency. Keep shedding those layers....! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Gabriella. Thank you for sharing something so private yet so natural that we need to learn to allow to flow through us instead of holding on to or needing an explanation for. xo
ReplyDelete