One of the most stressful things I had to deal with when my son was born was his feedings. He spent 5 weeks in PICU and wasn't able to breastfeed. I made sure to pump so that he could benefit from my milk for as long as I could. In fact, I expressed milk for 3 months before I finally decided my body had had enough. Anyone who's been hooked up to that machine every 2 hours knows exactly what I'm talking about.
When we finally had my little guy tasting solids, it was a feat in and of itself. Among his many challenges, my son also has a malformation of the larynx that makes feedings extra difficult (and dangerous, if not done right). Without going into much detail, let's just say that in the last 5 years, I've become the puréed-food queen.
If there is something you need to know about preparing homemade food from scratch and also making it safe enough for a baby to eat, ask me. I don't think there is a solution I haven't tried.
All this to say that today I'm sharing the best products I know of on the market that will make feeding your ready-to-eat-solids-baby as safe and easy as 1-2-3.
For the purpose of this post, let me say right off the bat that breast is best. I need to say that because I know it and truly support it. However, sometimes, we need to find other solutions. So, on top of ideas for your baby who is ready to eat solids, you'll also find some products for baby's first liquid meals.
Please note that I am not an affiliate of any of these brands (so I'm not getting any compensation for sharing what I share). However, for some products, I'm linking to my Amazon.ca shop (in which case, it is an affiliate link). I have done this to make it easier for you to find these products. I also list the company's website in the resources below so you can learn where to find them locally. Keep in mind that everything I share in this series is based on my personal experience and my true love for the products (after testing out many on the market).
Feeding Baby Eco-Style
Bottles
In the time I became pregnant to the time my son was born, Canadian laws were enforced on products sold for babies/children containing BPA (Bisphenol A). By the time I found out about it, I was already using bottles that contained BPA. I did what any mother would do: have a guilt-ridden fest and then, violently toss them out (actually, I recycled, but I did it quite aggressively). Then, I had no clue where to begin to purchase new, safer bottles.
Three things I learned about purchasing eco-safe baby bottles/sippy cups:
- While all plastic baby bottles sold here in Canada (and hopefully elsewhere) are now BPA-free, it's still best to avoid plastic bottles. You just never know what else can leech from plastic bottles that come in contact with heat (and those bottles get heated often).
- Stick to glass or stainless steel bottles since they are also PVC- and phthalate-free (on top of being BPA-free).
- Buy silicone nipples (as opposed to rubber or latex) for the bottles. All nipples should also be BPA-free these days, but knowing that they're food-grade silicone will make you sleep better at night.
![]() |
| These stainless steel bottles we own are by OrganicKidz |
My suggestions:
- OrganicKidz Stainless Steel Bottle - link to wide mouth bottle, but they also have standard, available in various colors and sizes, Canadian-made
- Thermos Foogo Stainless Steel Sippy Cup - available in blue and pink
- Born Free Glass Bottles - link to 5 oz bottles, but available in various sizes. Also come in wide mouth or standard and in kits as well
Dishes and Storage Containers
Again, avoid the stuff that contains any of the above mentioned toxins. My suggestion is to go with stainless steel, silicone and even wood or bamboo. But, if you have to go with plastic, make sure the sets are BPA-free.
![]() |
| Stainless steel Foogo food jar keeps food warm for up to 4 hours which is perfect for outings. No BPAs, no PVCs, no other toxins. |
My suggestions:
- Thermos Foogo Stainless Steel Straw Bottle
- Thermos Foogo Stainless Steel Food Jar - available in pink or blue
- Baby`s Wooden Spoon and Bowl Set - by Nova Natural
- Stainless Steel Cereal Bowl Set
- Silicone Spoons
- Hoppop Feeding Set - BPA-free
Bibs
I know this seems odd, but even bibs need to be considered when thinking about feeding baby safely. Bibs with plastic/vinyl backing may be waterproof, but, you go it... they also risk containing PVCs and phthalates. Completely unnecessary. Even if your baby is a heavy drooler, you don't need to resort to plastic. If there is one product I recommend purchasing handmade, it's bibs. Not only do they last forever (wash after wash), but they also are made with natural fabrics and really absorbent liners. I would suggest checking out Etsy for shops that meet your needs.
![]() |
| Bibs I made with an absorbent, organic cotton insert. Handmade bibs are not only safer, but are also much more resistant to repeated washing. |
Food Mill
![]() | |||
| Our food mill |
Besides the blender/food processor, this handy little tool is a gift from the heavens. It's a handheld food mill that allows you to take fruits and veggies and purée them on the spot. Fresh as fresh can be. And portable. So, even baby can eat when you're out visiting grandma and grandpa. Sercret? I still use this mill - often.
My suggestion:
- Green Sprouts Baby Food Mill - BPA-free
See my Day 2 list in this series.
Resources for you:
OrganicKidz - official website
Thermos Foogo - official website
Born Free - official website
Green Sprouts- official website
Life Without Plastic - official website
The Environmental Working Group's (EWG) website - link to articles/lists of toxins in children's products
Healthy Child, Healthy World - Organization that looks after your children's well-being
Share your favorite eco-safe feeding products in the comments.
Go to Part 6 here.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.