One of the first things I did when I found out I was pregnant was rush to the bookstore to peruse the pregnancy books. I had already received the classical What to Expect When You're Expecting book and it seemed quite complete at the time. However, I wanted something for when baby arrived.
In my search, I found tons of new titles I just had to own. I burned quite a hole in my pocket that day.
This part of the series shares a list of books I highly suggest for expectant and new moms. They not only cover the whole "what to expect" part, but they add the natural/safe/eco-friendly element to the mix. And, each one will open your eyes to alternative methods/ideas that will forever change you as a women.
Just so you know, I am not getting any compensation from the authors or publishers for sharing these books. However, I'm linking to my Amazon.ca shop (an affiliate link). I have done this to make it easier for you to find these books.
Eco-Natural Book Recommendations
![]() |
| From my bookshelf. I still can't part with them. They're that good. |
For Reading While Pregnant
- Misconceptions: Truth, Lies and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood by Naomi Wolf - Oh. My Goodness. This is the book of all books to read if you are even just thinking about getting pregnant. It is truly mind-blowing. I read this while pregnant and it made me aware of the many ways the medical system can actually harm what should be a natural process to bringing a child into the world.
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin - Even if you do not plan to give birth with a midwife, you just need to read these birth stories and Ina's helpful suggestions for a natural birth.
- Birthing From Within: An Extraordinary Guide to Childbirth by Pam England - I loved everything about this book - from the layout to the concrete techniques for a natural childbirth. Reading this book really gave me the confidence I needed to go through the birthing process (even if in a hospital setting).
![]() |
| Books that saved me |
For Baby's Arrival
- The Baby Book: Everything you Need to Know About Your Baby From Birth to Age Two by Robert and James Sears - This is a bible of a book. It literally answers all of your baby questions better than anything on the internet - especially in the middle of the night when you have no one to call. It explores and explains attachment parenting and why it's so essential to a baby's well-being.
- The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night by Elizabeth Pantley - Even though we still have sleep issues, this book really brought me comfort when all I'd hear is "Just let him cry!" It helped me understand sleep patterns and gave me concrete strategies to try with love (instead of frustration).
- Secrets of a Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate With Your Baby by Tracy Hogg - This one is a little controversial in the natural community because Tracy shares rules and techniques that differ from the freedom of attachment parenting. However, I have a personal connection to this book myself. I read it while my little guy was in the PICU at birth. Although I could not relate to it at that moment, I read it cover to cover and felt really reassured by much of it. At the end, Tracy shares her fears about having had her preemie baby in NICU and how she felt herself spiraling out of control because of the exhaustion after having given birth. I think I read those few paragraphs about 50 times as I sat by my little guy's incubator. In all honestly, despite the fact that it's not necessarily promoting attachment parenting, I really liked the insane amount of factual details and strategies shared in this book. I would read it again just for fun 5 years later. For real.
![]() |
| Still refer to these often |
For Baby's Meals
- Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron - This is the bible of all baby food books. I still refer to it. It contains absolutely everything you need to know about preparing baby food. Everything. If there is one baby food book for you to get, get this one.
- Top 100 Baby Purres: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby by Annabel Karmel - While this doesn't fall in the natural category per se, I'm recommending it for the simple reason that it promotes homemade baby food making (as opposed to purchasing jars). The photos are beautiful and enticing; the recipes are easy and inspiring.
- Simply Natural Baby Food: Easy Recipes for Delicious Meals Your Infant and Toddler Will Love by Cathe Olson - All I can say is that I still refer to these recipes. They're that good.
- Feeding the Whole Family: Recipes for Babies, Young Children and Their Parents by Cynthia Lair - Great book that opened me up to new ingredients that my little one actually loves.
![]() |
| For healing body and soul |
Additional Books I Love
- Gentle Healing for Baby and Child by Andrea Candee - Excellent resource for natural healing with herbs.
- A Quiet Place: Essays on Life and Family by Peggy O'Mara - A collection of articles for you to read while baby naps. Soothing for the spirit, but also very thought-provoking.
What is your favorite eco-natural book?
Head on over to Part 3 here.





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.