28 October 2012
Come Walk With Me... Mindfully
A blog about making green choices should connect to the reasons we're trying to make those choices in the first place. We can eat healthily and join the best yoga class in the city. But, if we don't get out of the house and connect with the wonders of the great outdoors, we can easily get off-track with our best eating and exercise intentions.
Unfortunately, even a walk outdoors can be toxic, if we're absorbed with thoughts about yesterday and tomorrow. When I head out for I walk, I try to do it mindfully. It's easy, in a way, since my son is non-verbal. I can truly take in the colors and sounds and smells (sometimes, not so pleasant) and be right in the moment.
When my mind wanders to what I'll prepare for lunch, a crow might caw or that cyclist might whip by or that leaf might fall right on my shoe to redirect me to the present moment.
Sometimes, it's the little giggle my son makes when he hears an airplane pass overhead, and then signs it.
So simple.
So healing.
Today, I want to take you on a walk with me on the path I take with my son daily. We live one street away from the river, so Mama Nature is literally in our backyard. I feel so blessed about that.
On this particular day in October, it was 24 °C (75.2 °F). Most of the leaves had already blown off trees and started to dry on the ground. Still, the connection with all things green and natural and healthy was so vivid, I just had to take my camera along so I could share it with you.
I could have added captions, but for images this beautiful, I'll let you dream up the words.
Take it all in through my eyes...
(Warning: I have a terrible camera that is just hanging by a thread, so the lighting and the focus is really terrible as well.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















It's so nice that you live by the river where water flows... just the sound of water alone is so peaceful. It's nice that you take advantage of walking in nature daily with your son. Your photos are so lovely and helped me feel like I was right there in the park walking and relaxing on one of the benches or big rocks taking in the beauty that nature offers us.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, I don't hear the water flow... must be the fact that it's city-like right across from it. Thanks for walking with me!
DeleteBeautiful!!I will have to take one of those walks this weekend!
DeleteIt's absolutely replenishing. I found a lot of answers to many of my questions this summer just by sitting on one of those benches and looking out into the water. Enjoy your walk!
Delete