9 August 2012

Back-to-School Eco-Style


See my Pinterest board to find these products and makers.
As a teacher, I can't help but get excited about back-to-school.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the summer and wish I could sip on iced tea forever.  But, there is something about the start of a new year that makes my toes tickle with excitement. 

I will confess that I always loved school, even as a student. I especially loved the beginning of the year when we shopped for new supplies and new clothes.  I loved it so much I'd sniff the new pencil case, markers and notebooks on those first days back in the classroom (I know I'm not the only one who did that!  Come on!)

Today, I know those scents came with a big price.  Oh, yes people.  I'm going to burst your back-to-school bubble right now. 

PVCs, or polyvinyl chloride, is what I was sniffing.  PVCs contain phthalates and lead which leech and off-gas for years after purchase.  It just disgusts me that this stuff was, and still is, sold for children's use. 

But, as always, there are alternatives. 

3 Simple Eco-Tips for Back-to-School
  1. Before buying new, I always suggest to students to look at their already existing supplies.  While PVCs are probably in their make-up, it's better to reuse old items (that have already been off-gasing for a while anyway) than to contribute to landfills. Things like pencil cases, schools bags, lunch boxes and binders are sturdy enough to last a few years.
  2. Don't forget about the lunch box.  There are many ways to make lunch-time greener.  Avoid plastic wrap and go for reusable bags or tins. 
  3. If you buy new, look for PVC-free.  There are tons of shops that now sell eco-friendly and non-toxic supplies.  Your local office supply shop has a section dedicated to these products.  

Want to get started on the right foot?

Whether your kids are going back to daycare, school or homeschool, I've created an ever-growing pinboard on Pinterest with suggestions for you.  See link in the resources below.  Don't miss out on the downloads listed there, too.  If you have additional links to eco-supplies, please do share them in the comments. I'll add them to the board.

Where do you stand on non-toxic school supplies?  Are you going to make an effort to go green or will you buy what's cheapest?  (And, be honest, did you also sniff your new school supplies?)


Resources for you:

Photo credits for products in collage above:
Natural Homemade Glue Recipe
Pencil Case Lolli Polka Dots
Reusable Sandwich Bag
Back-Pack ID - Dinosaurs
Jumbo Clip Bookmarks
Big Kid Sized Backpack-Dinosaur
Kids Cloth Napkins

Additional resources:
CHEJ Back-to-School Guide to PVC-free School Supplies (pdf - a super download)
Back to School Wallet Guide to PVC-free School Supplies (1-page wallet size of the above)
The Guide to Less Toxic School Supplies (pdf)
Schumer Warns of Chemicals in Back to School Items (video report)
Hidden Hazards: Toxic Phthalates in Children's Vinyl School Supplies (CHEJ Flickr board)
New Report: Hidden Toxic Chemicals Found in Children's School Supplies (article by CHEJ)

Related posts on this blog:
Halloween Eco-Style
Fall into Autumn Eco-Style



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.