18 May 2012

6 Tips to Shop Organic and Save

 Poster created by yours truly (that's me!) on The Keep Calm-o-matic


Let's face it.  Organic products aren't cheap.

The biggest lifestyle change I made after greening my cleaning products was that of buying [almost all] foods organic.  At first, I was freaked out about it because the prices seemed to be over the top, so I only bought organic for my son's meals (which were different from ours for a long time anyway).  But, what started happening was that I became crazy about what I was eating - if it wasn't organic, I wouldn't eat it at all.

So, for a while I ate very little strawberries, very little veggies, and hardly any meat.   You see, while searching for good food choices for my son, I continuously read about the amount of the pesticides and toxins that exist in certain foods, and it started to affect the way I grocery-shopped and ate.

I soon realized that avoiding eating altogether was not a way to stay healthy and that I had to do something about it.

One day, I made the conscious choice to select organic foods, no matter the price.  What I learned in the meantime was that I wasn't actually spending more at all.  And, I never used coupons!

Here are 6 things I learned [from experience] about shopping organic frugally, and how you can do it too:

1- Choose in-season produce.  Those are usually on sale!  It seems simple, but for a long time I was shopping backwards.  I would meal-plan first, and then get the ingredients - no matter the price.  Now, I get the shopping done first (based on the best organic sales), and then meal-plan using the foods I purchased that week.  What happens is that you will open your mind to new foods and your diet will actually be varied!

2- Avoid the boxed stuff. I'm talking meals or snacks.  Those are always the most expensive anyway.  Buy the basic organic ingredients you need, and prepare the meals and snacks yourself.  There is nothing like homemade meals, anyway.  They're more satisfying, healthier, and so much cheaper!

3- Stretch the dollar: Buy more, less often. I order produce from my local organic food distributor bimonthly.  I buy what's in season, or what's on sale, and I store everything in produce-safe containers.  I try to eat the stuff that spoils the quickest first.  I often find that I'm left with a lot of the veggies before the 2 weeks runs out, in which case I try to juice what I can before I have to place my next order.  I also stretch the dollar by ordering my organic goodies online.  So, I only buy and pay for what I order.  On the other hand, when I'm at the supermarket, I am tempted by other things I see, and end up spending much more!

4- Purchase the smaller container.  When it comes to choosing between a regular-sized container or a bulk/family pack, I always select the smaller one.  Why?  I use less of it.  It's psychological.  When I know there is more, I'm not very frugal about consuming it.  This is especially true of organic balms I've purchased.  I can make tiny jars last forever because I value them more.

5- Support local farmers and distributors.  When you get to know the people who grow or distribute your food (or other organic products), they tend to add little bonuses to your basket.  And we all like free stuff, right?

6- Think twice.  Because organic products (whether produce, skin-care or cleaning products) appear to be more expensive up front, it forces us to think about our priorities.  When I see people spend crazy money on consumables or children's toys or clothing and then tell me that they can't afford organic, it's clear where their priorities are. I challenge you to think twice about what you buy on a daily or weekly basis, and then put the money you saved towards your health.  It won't be long before you realize that you can do without that extra shirt, but feed your family right.  Besides, think about how much money health care will cost you later on if you don't take care of yourself right now.  You can't afford not to.

What saving tips do you have for me? 


Resources for you:

The New Dirty Dozen: 12 Foods to Eat Organic (this is the list that made me not want to eat unless it was organic)
Dr Weil: Foods You Should Always Buy Organic (article)
EWG's Good Food on a Tight Budget: A Shopping Guide

4 comments:

  1. Awesome tips Gabriella, thank you. I was just talking to someone I know yesterday about organic food distributor... it sounds like something I'd like to do bi-monthly. I also want to start exploring at local food markets this year. Our regular grocery stores in our areas barely have anything that is organic. There's a huge difference in taste and quality when you buy organic.

    I do purchase most of our skin care, cleaning products and toiletry things natural or organic. Next I need to find something natural for a product that I still use to help give my a bit more body before I curl it... I know that it needs to be changed. It's on my to-do list.

    I really appreciate this blog post you wrote. I'm making a few notes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also disappointed with the lack of organic produce in our regular groceries stories. They are inconsistent and lack variety. This is why I refuse to buy fruits and veggies there. It's my own personal protest against their insistence to buy toxic produce.

      Glad this list helped!

      Delete
  2. I do find that some groceries stores are catching on and want a piece of the action with the growing number of people wanting organic.

    With time being of shortage, i try to make a one stop shop, and Loblaws has a big variety of items to allow me to do this. They not only have FOOD, but they have clothing, pharmaceuticals, flowers, toys, etc... and alot of Organic options as well. They are not 100% consistent yet, although i do not shop there consistently either...so i should not comment i guess. BUT, i do like the fact that they have the most choice in Premiere Moison bread and a large selection of organic fruits and veggies.

    My tip is to save on gas driving to different places and shop at one store that provides all under one roof. I buy the organic apples, pears, oranges, carrots, romaine lettuce, grapes, tomatoes, etc that come in bigger bags(qty)...as they are cheaper then buying individually. PC Organic(President's Choice) mark brand is great i find...and the price is fair.

    My other favorite place to shop is TAU...but more on gas as it is much further, so i only go when in the area and i need to stock up on supplements. Their prices are almost the same as regular fruits and veggies in Metro/Provigo...so it's a no-brainer.

    If you have strong taste buds like me...you CAN really taste the difference with ORGANIC. Once you go there...there is no turning back. lol So much more flavor.

    Some things i let go and buy regular non organic on occasion,...like avocados, mangos, watermelon, oranges, cantaloupe,...depends how they look and if on sale. (I ALWAYS wash them.)

    I wish we had a local organic place i could order like you Gabriella, but none that i know of in my area. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great point - going to one store for all of your needs. I totally agree with that. Not only is it exhausting to run around, but it's unnecessary. This is why some people resort to distributors or online shopping.

      Although grocery stores are catching on, it's nowhere near enough what it should be. There is no excuse, knowing what we know about pesticides, why they insist on selling us food containing toxins. I dream of the day when everything we can select from will be solely organic.

      And, yes. Going organic means tasting the difference. It's not just a bunch of hogwash. The tastebuds don't lie. And it's simply because the nutrients aren't washed out by sprays containing pesticides.

      Are you in the Montreal area? If you email me, I'll send you the number of my distributor. The resource I have will most likely deliver the produce to you.

      Great discussion here. Thanks for your voice.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.