21 April 2012

5 Ideas to Help Celebrate Mama Earth


 Photograph by Amy McRae at Beyoutifully

Earth Day (April 22nd) isn't just about what we do on that one day. Instead, it's a reminder of what we can be doing for Mama Earth all year round.

I have 5 ideas for you and your family this weekend - a kickstarter for the rest of the year:

1- Freecycle. Instead of tossing out unused toys, games, books, clothes, or electronics - donate them! Check out this video. What a cool concept!

2- Switch to organic. This is the one thing I committed to last year. I also committed to supporting local farmers and distributors as much as I could.  Local organic farmers do not use pesticides that deplete the soil from nutrients.  This also means less toxins in the air we breathe!

3- Help green your child's school. Ask the principal how you can help make the school a little greener, then start or join a Green Committee. Items on the agenda: school garden (organic, of course!), greening the cleaning products, greening school lunch bags (ie: no plastic wrap or bottles), composting, etc.

4- Upcycle. Is there anyway you can turn an old item into something entirely new and useful? Here are tons of ideas. Kids are particularly good at this kind of thing.

5- Switch to eco-friendly products for your home, and save (like Shaklee's Get Clean - you know I had to throw that one in there!)

Remember, taking care of our planet helps our planet take care of us.

What will you commit to this Earth Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.